Share

Friday, April 29, 2011

The Dead Man: Hell in Heaven



Goodreads Summary:
Third book in the series about Matt Cahill, a man who'd died, but didn't, now wandering the country looking for answers. He sees the evil in people that others don't, possibly infected by Mr. Dark, the entity that he alone sees, that takes great delight in taunting him.

My Review:
This is book #3 in the series and I loved it just as much as the first two. The main character, Matt Cahill, is finally fully realizing that he is dead and he's taking on the role of saving the world quite well. In fact, he glories in the power a little bit in this installment and the result of that is endearing and funny. I love this character because he never seems to realize quite how good he is, and watching him struggle in an effort to do the right thing makes for great entertainment. How these authors created such a likable, out to save the world, good-natured character who also happens to be going down on women, whether in remembrances of things past, or in the present, in almost every book I'll never know. It does make it interesting and I'll admit it's done well. It's smoothly weaved in without mushy or overly sexual scenes. What can I say, these boys know how to write!

So Matt finds himself in a town called Heaven in this installment. It's exactly what it sounds like as it's the last stop for many. Matt is stuck in the middle of a feud that he must fix before he can continue on his mission of scouring the country to find the people who can shed light on who he is and his greater purpose. Once again, between a cyst filled evil, intestine leaking woman, and men fighting with animistic-type power, there are more than a few bodies left in Matt's wake, which after all, is why we're reading this to begin with. It's graphic in a good way and has just enough adult humor to make it a perfect mix and a perfect supernatural thriller in this reader's opinion.
4/5 stars

6 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for another great review! I'm trying to remember what woman Matt went down on in the last book...

    ...oh, yes, in the flashback. You're right!

    I'm afraid he doesn't go down on anyone in the next book, DEAD MAN #4: THE DEAD WOMAN by David McAfee....but he does get laid. He wouldn't be much of a men's action adventure hero if he didn't :-)

    Lee

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well as long as he gets laid I think the reader's will be happy, lol I just though it was funny that in two books in a row he was doing the same thing. I'm glad he finally crosses the finish line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! It's a great series. Looking forward to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You won't be disappointed. I read it in one sitting, I just couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of these. I'm going to go put them on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh there're great! They are publishing one a month and they're only about 100 pages, so you read them in an hour or two. Plus they're really cheap:) I'd highly recommend them.

    ReplyDelete